NEW HEART FOR O’CONNELL STREET
The time is right for North Adelaide’s new heart.
The development includes a shopping and restaurant precinct, residential apartments for start-out buyers through to luxury homes, commercial offices and a boutique hotel. This is spread over eight buildings linked by a piazza and gardens to be created on a site bordered by O’Connell, Tynte, Archer and Centenary Streets.
This will be an iconic development which will provide a quality legacy for current and future generations. It will have an end value of more than $200 million and will inject new vitality to one of the city’s most valued precincts.
WHAT IS PLANNED?
• 131 residential apartments spread over three different buildings - an elegant curved building on the corner of O’Connell and Tynte Streets; a tiered building above retail and commercial tenancies at the southern end of the site; and four levels of studio style apartments on boundaries adjacent to existing development on Centenary Street;
• 3,000 square metres of premium office space;
• 3,000 square metres of retail space framing a landscaped public piazza. ‘Magnet’ retailers, restaurateurs and café operators will be attracted to the space with the aim of delivering something special for Adelaide;
• A five-star hotel over six levels; and
• A large below ground car park for 440 vehicles.
DESIGNED TO WORK FOR NORTH ADELAIDE
The project has been designed by Ignite Architects and shaped through the State Government’s pre-lodgement process over almost two years.
While this is undoubtedly a significant project, it has been designed to respect existing built form and usage. For example, where the project shares a street frontage with residential dwellings (Centenary Street), it will have residential dwellings of no more than four stories.
Larger buildings on the site are either set back from the boundaries or proposed for the commercial corners of the site – O’Connell and Archer Streets and O’Connell and Tynte Streets.
The primary visual experience of buildings in the area is at street level at close quarters. While there are taller buildings within the site, there is a deliberate transition from the larger forms fronting the commercial precinct of O’Connell Street to the residential scale and forms to the east.
Materials and detail in these buildings reflect the texture of the adjacent built form.
Buildings on the corresponding corners of the development have been designed to respond in different ways through complementary scale and visual texture, or in the case of the Archer Street corner, additionally by providing a clear visual contrast.
Having some elements of height in the project provides the ability to provide significant public amenity space at ground level in the form of a landscaped “piazza”.
Rather than one big bulk of mass at the same height across the site the development provides different heights and mass to provide a rich variety of built forms, and numerous secondary spaces, laneways and respite areas. The buildings are located to minimise overshadowing of the public spaces and the surrounding neighbourhood at key times.
All car parking is below street level.
REGISTER YOUR INTEREST
We recognise the need and underlying demand for retail, commercial and residential options in North Adelaide. If you would like to be kept informed about options to work, live or relax at 88, please Register your Interest here.